Monday 17 September 2012

National Highway Widening Problem.

The government is planning to widen the National Highway running through Sangrur, Dhuri and other areas by 16.5 feet on both sides to facilitate easy movement of troops, heavy vehicles and armoured units. The National Highway is the main link between north-west Punjab/Haryana and the army’s operational area further west. 

However, there is a problem: Widening the highway would result in the demolition of thousands of homes/shops which have been there for decades. No amount of compensation and re-allotment of land would rehabilitate them as these people have been living and working here for generations and displacing them would cause irreparable damage.

Rural development is of utmost importance if a country has to progress. But I think it will be eventually time consuming and unsafe for our troops to travel through Sangrur and Dhuri. A better solution would be to make a bypass skirting the towns. This would ensure that people are not uprooted and at the same time would assist movement of troops and people in general.

As a social activist, I have served the people of Punjab for the past 16 years and consider each one of them a part of my family. I would do everything in my means to ensure that the plight of the people is heard in the right platform. I have already written to the minister of state for road transport and highways and he has assured me that he will look into the matter. I have faith that the government will see the logic behind my suggestion and will look at the problem compassionately. I would also urge the people of Sangrur and Dhuri to stay calm as their leader is with them.

3 comments:

  1. My concern is that "I would do everything in my means to ensure that the plight of the people is heard in the right platform."after doing that we can improve the Rural Development Department in spreading the Punjab News

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Very Much Inspired by the work of Umeed Ngo in Punjab, they are now giving jobs to the unemployed peoples in Punjab by starting latest and new recruitment in Punjab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes you are right @sunny arora, i am very happy by their latest recruitment program in Punjab.

    ReplyDelete